Monday, July 29, 2024

Big Black Studs

Or actually, fairly small ones. When we last left off, I found myself with a workholding set that was lacking a set of studs that were short enough to clamp the drill press vice down to my drill press. A few days after a quick call to the House of Bezos and these arrive at my door.

The 3 inch studs were about an inch too long, so these 2 inch studs should be just right.

And I must say they certainly look the part.

I even bought a dedicated 7/8" wrench for the flange nuts.

There's only one problem, though.

Sonofa...

Curiously enough, despite ordering 4 of the exact same part (as 2 sets of 2, even), they arrived in one package of three, and another package of just one (along with the wrench).

I didn't keep track of which stud came out of which package, but at least two of them look like they were plausibly made in the same factory.

The good news is, though, that the one there at the end with the most thread will actually work to clamp the vice down to the table. So I got that going for me, which is nice.

I think I'll try ordering some hardened washers this time and see if that gets me a usable setup.

No comments: