Monday, December 17, 2018

More Home (Dis-)Improvement

First up, I'm now half way to being fully equipped with toilet paper holders. No idea why there weren't any installed in the first place, I can only assume that the previous owners preferred using the three shells.

It's a bit further back than I'd like since the vanity is shallower than standard, but it'll do. I'm planning to get rid of the ugly, rusted over-toilet-shelf-organizer thing and replacing it with a cabinet a bit higher up on the wall, so that should free up a bit of elbow space and make it easier to reach the paper.

Next up, some "before" pictures of today's hantavirus-shelf destruction:

And "after":

And looking at these I just realized that I forgot to remove one of the metal shelf brackets in the last photo. Oh well, I've still got plenty more work to go so I'll get to it then. It doesn't look like much, but I pulled down quite a lot of poorly cut, shoddily assembled lumber.

The important thing here is that the shelves above where the washer and dryer will be going are gone. The installer is supposed to be putting them in this Saturday and I wanted them out before that so I didn't have to risk accidentally dropping shelf bits on them later when I was tearing things down. Mission accomplished.

Tuesday, December 11, 2018

I just need some space-ers

Just a little shout-out to an amazing product that you never knew you needed: outlet spacers. Basically they're little plastic stackable spacers that you wedge between an outlet and the electrical box that, when installed properly, makes sure that the outlet sits at exactly the right distance from the wall, and sits there securely. So you never have to deal with oddly sunken, squishy, off-kilter outlets and switches with cracked cover plates ever again.

Fucking miracles.

Also I'd like to give a shout out to brushed stainless steel outlet/switch face plates. Every garage in the world has an outlet or switch with a cracked, chipped or broken faceplate. Every garage in the world but mine, that is.

Shelves No More

First home dis-improvement project done: removing the first section of rickety, hantavirus-infested shelving in the garage. Oddly enough the hardest part was removing the drain adapter that was hooked up to the (filthy, cheap, and oddly high mounted) sink. The shelves themselves came apart pretty easy, thanks in no small part to the reciprocating saw I recently bought.

Pro tip: a reciprocating saw is a great tool to own so long as there's nothing within a three block radius that you might want to keep in one piece.

Eventually I'm going to get rid of all the plumbing on this wall, including the water heater just off to the right of the picture, and relocate it to the west wall of the garage. This will eliminate the pipes that rather awkwardly cross the stairs leading into the garage, as well as give me an excuse to replace the water heater that's partially blocking the door with a tankless wall-mounted unit, and fix the drain plumbing that's not actually vented outside. Plus I'd really prefer if all the plumbing and gas lines were run inside the wall rather than surface-mounted.

But until I find time to find a plumber and gas fitter it's just gonna stay where it is.

Sunday, December 9, 2018

Shower Nubbin

First home improvement project done: replace the rusty, white-painted shower nubbin with a shiny new chrome one.

So much nicer!

Saturday, December 8, 2018

And So I Have Moved In... Somewhat

I've got all my furniture inside though my wardrobe has yet to be reassembled. My computers are up and running, my living room is back in order, but there's still a lot of stuff in boxes that will probably stay there for a few weeks yet.

I've already done one home improvement task: I fixed the door for the furnace room that was getting jammed at the top corner of the frame. A small but meaningful improvement.

This weekend has quite a few things on my list of things to do: I want to go retrieve Scooty-Puff from where it's parked at work, I want to rip the crappy shelving out of the garage, I want to see about turning the water softener back on, I want to get the patio furniture set up in the back yard and give it a power wash, and maybe if I have time I'd like to clean up some leaves and give my postage stamp of a lawn a mowing. We'll see. I also have to find time to do my nails this weekend.

Busy, busy.

Saturday, December 1, 2018

And So I Have Moved Out

Moving in, on the other hand, is still gonna take a bit of time. But that's how these things go.

Last load was in the Pedovan and rolling out at 3:30am last night. Remember that "I just have a few more odds and ends to load up" means at least 2 hours of hard work ahead of you. It didn't help that the parking space was about 45 seconds of walking one-way from my apartment, so I could count on a minimum of 2 minutes per load. Times obviously increased if the item was large and awkward. It was taking anywhere from 2-4 hours to load the van on that end, and about 15-30 minutes to unload at the house.

To say this was exhausting is an understatement. In fact it was so exhausting that when I woke up this morning at around 10am, I actually had difficulty standing. Like literally my body just couldn't support my weight because I was that completely drained. Luckily things have improved after a nice hearty breakfast and a bit of relaxation, not to mention a lovely hot shower, and I'm half way to feeling pretty decent again.

Well, time to go unpack I suppose.

Thursday, November 29, 2018

The Stages of Moving Out

Stage 53: That moment you realize that you will probably never be naked within these four walls again. Probably.

Stage 54: Get naked one last time, so that you remember it.