The sheer curtains I installed earlier this week were doing their job quite well, but when I was installing them I did notice that the curtain rod pocket was a bit tight on the oversized 1-inch curtain rods I had bought. I wanted the extra chunky rods to avoid the possibility of them sagging in the middle of my somewhat comically large windows, and I hadn't considered beforehand whether that would cause a compatibility issue with the curtains themselves.
That said, the curtains did fit, though they were quite snug; snug enough that I couldn't really slide the curtains on the rod without getting up on a ladder and shoving them back and forth,
Luckily this is a problem with a solution, particularly since the curtain rod pocket was sewn with a bit of a fringe of extra material along the top.
All I had to do was line up the top of the curtain with the edge of the presser foot, since I didn't have any particular other measurement in mind, and put the pedal to the metal.
After removing the original seam, the result is quite an improvement.
Less pointless frilliness up top, more space for the curtain rod down below. I also took the opportunity to remove the textile information tags, which were inconveniently sewn into one of the seams along the top.
It is interesting, though, how much of a story that a seam can tell, even long after it's sewn. Like this one, for example.
The story this seam tells is "I was sewn on a Friday afternoon."