Tuesday, December 19, 2023

Third Time Lucky

So I mentioned in a previous blog entry that I'd had a little bit of difficulty getting a set of accessory presser feet for my Singer. For whatever reason there's some manufacturer out there who thinks that doing even basic QA is way too much effort, and is shipping out presser feet that are just fundamentally not fit for purpose.

In order to try to avoid a repeat of this disappointment, I decided to try again by ordering from an actual sewing machine supply company rather than from House Bezos. What arrived was... well, it was better but it wasn't great. The feet were still off kilter compared to my original Singer foot, and they were also still inconsistent amongst themselves, so even if I wanted to adjust my presser foot bar to compensate for their misalignment, I'd have to adjust it between swapping out any two feet, which is just absurd.

So I sent those back too, and decided to try one last time. This time I went back to the magical everything store and ordered a kit from a different manufacturer, this time one with an actual name, and a factory in Taiwan (which is not part of China, thank you very much).

And finally I got a set of feet that actually lined up. Well, mostly. They were still just a smidge off, but they were all 100% consistent with each other, so I was able to tweak the presser bar just a smidge to compensate, and now I can switch between all of these feet and maintain perfect alignment, which is what I was after from the start.

Somewhat curiously, this brand doesn't offer a left-piping foot for high shank machines like this. It does offer a right-piping foot, but since the piping is usually fed through on the same side as the bulk of the material, that would mean stuffing all that material through the throat space of the machine rather than having it out in all the free space to the left of the machine. Luckily I do have a set of left-piping feet for my Juki cylinder arm machine, which is the machine I plan to use for bag making and upholstery anyway, so it's not a big loss. I just found it a little bit curious.

Anyway, with all this trouble I've been through trying to get presser feet that actually work, I guess Jeff Bezos himself decided to send me a little xmas gif to make up for it.

I had ordered a single small-sized (8 inch by 12 inch) L-square, but when the package arrived there were two of them stuck together pretending to be just one. Well, it'll be handy having an extra!

No comments: