Sunday, July 28, 2024

An Abrasive Personality

In furtherance of my tool collecting adventure, I've decided to add a combination disc/belt sander to my collection. Specifically a 4x36 belt and 8 inch disc sander.

This Bucktool brand seems to be basically what passes for midrange these days. It's not quite as trash tier as the bargain basement options, while still managing to fall short of the premium brands in key areas. Which should make it just about perfect for me.

It's easy enough to unbox and set up, since it comes mostly assembled already, save for attaching the work tables and a few safety guards that I'm totally going to install later, I promise.

It comes out of the box with some fairly basic aluminum oxide abrasives. It's plenty good enough for wood, although I'm not really sure why anyone would want to use this type of sander on wood, and should basically do the job on steel, though I expect at some point I'll get some zirconia abrasives for the latter.

In the meantime though, it does a decent job on this marshmallowy soft aluminum-emmentaler alloy.

And if I ever need to make some thermite, I'll have a good source of aluminum dust.

No comments: