Sunday, July 21, 2024

File It Under Files

A while back I bought a set of files. Just a basic, cheap set; nothing too special. But apparently I went a bit too cheap as they didn't come with a full set of handles.

I finally got fed up with not having handles on nearly half of these files, so I bought a set of file handles. Just a basic, cheap set; nothing too special.

Though I may have, once again, gone a little too cheap.

It's not the end of the world though, and the set doesn't look half bad now.

But I can't just leave well enough alone.

Taking the handle off the file, gluing it back up, and tossing it back in the bag while I hammer a different one on was my first instinct, but as it so happens getting a handle off of a file is kind of an exercise in futility.

So, plan b: mix up way too much epoxy putty (the only amount you can ever mix up) and smush it into the cracks.

I thought of leaving it like this, with just the putty in the crack itself, but that would have left a ridge on the file handle, so I decided to get a bit fancier and feather it out.

I'll give it a light sanding when it's cured and probably leave it as is, though I might give it a quick shot of clear finish if I feel so inspired.

No comments: