Monday, July 15, 2024

A Chill In The Air

So I was trying to track down the source of some water hammer noise recently, and narrowed the culprit down to the water dispenser in my fridge. For some reason the tubing slaps back and forth inside the fridge whenever there's even the slightest amount of water hammer in the system. I didn't make any progress on actually fixing that, but I did notice something peculiar when I was poking around.

These are the refrigerator condenser coils, and this picture was taken after vacuuming a bit of dust off the front of them to verify that I was, in fact, looking at the refrigerator condenser coils, because all I saw before that was a fuzzy grey mass.

Anyway, a little bit of vacuuming later and things were looking a lot better, though not yet 100%.

The coils were unfortunately stacked a bit too close together to get all the way to the back with the crevice tool on my vacuum, so I had to call in the big guns.

This thing is apparently called an appliance duster. Basically it's just a semi-floppy plastic paddle with a microfiber towel wrapped around it. I don't know what other appliances it's intended to be used on, but it works great for dusting fridge coils.

It's not spotless, sure, but it's good enough for another 20 years.

No comments: