Monday, November 13, 2023

Hanging By A Thread

So I recently came into possession of a few spools of thread.

And by "a few" I mean quite a lot.

80 spools, to be precise, in 78 colours (there's a duplicate of black and white, for what should be obvious reasons).

While the cardboard box the thread came in makes for some very compact storage, it does make it rather difficult to find the colours I'm looking for, considering that half of the spools need to be upside-down in order to fit.

Luckily, science has invented a solution to this problem.

These racks hold 60 spools each, for a total of 120, which leaves me with a little bit of breathing room. They can stand on their own, but I have a lot of wall space in this room so I decided to hang them up.

I measured carefully, installed some picture hanger hooks, and...

Hmm, well, slightly wonky construction aside, I probably should have checked how much clearance I'd need between the two racks.

Unfortunately one of the hooks had managed to hit a stud, so it didn't come out without a bit of a fight.

I suppose I'll have to dab a little touch-up paint on that.

But anyway, that's a problem for future-me. Right now it's time to get the thread spools loaded up.

I'd used a few of these colours already, and in doing so had removed the plastic wrap and slipped on some thread nets (these keep the thread from unspooling in an uncontrolled manner and becoming tangled). But that meant that the unwrapped spools didn't match well with the shrink wrapped ones.

So a lot of unwrapping later, they now all match each other. Except for the spare black and white spools, since I want to keep track of which of those I haven't used yet.

Now I just have to deal with this static-charged nightmare.

And yes, those are some pieces of shrink wrap plastic stuck to the wall. Static electricity is a vexing foe indeed.

No comments: