Thursday, October 12, 2023

If It's Worth Doing Once

I made a rather unfortunate error when I sewed the welted pocket opening into my bug net. You see, I used some nylon fabric that I had laying around, and nylon is a very strong and durable fabric.

Correction: nylon is a very strong and durable fiber. Woven nylon fabric, on the other hand, frays like a bitch. And, after not too many wash-and-wear cycles, those welts frayed their way right out of the stitches.

So I took out all the old stitching, which was a royal pain since I used a very short stitch length, and remade the welts with a cotton muslin fabric this time. I also gave myself a bigger seam allowance, and used a double-row of top stitching for extra security.

With any luck, these welts should last at least as long as the rest of the bug net.

No comments: