Saturday, August 22, 2020

Early Re-Tirement

 A few weeks ago I was using my band saw to saw up some wood from the pallet that my new desk came on. For reasons I have yet to fully diagnose, the blade exploded on me during one of these cuts, a most unfortunate happening. I luckily had a different blade I could use to finish the cuts, though it was a thin, fine tooth blade mostly intended for making curved cuts in thinner material rather than the heavy duty ripping blade I had been using.

Anyway, I ordered a new ripping blade off the magical internet delivery machine and went to install it when I noticed that one of the tires on the bandsaw didn't look quite right.

That right there is what we in the industry would call gibbled, right and proper.

Luckily band saw tires are a consumable item so I ordered a replacement set off said same magical internet delivery machine and waited for their arrival. Then I waited for the weather to cool down enough so that I could install them. Then I finally got to installing them.

And wouldn't you know it, when I measured out the wheels I correctly noted that they're 14 inches in diameter and an inch wide, so when the internet showed me a half billion listings for 14x1 band saw tires I just hit the "buy" button and didn't give it a second thought. However, it turns out that Laguna, the manufacturers of my particular machine, saw fit to buck the trend and spec a 14x13/16 tire for their band saw. Lovely.

Thankfully it's easier to remove material than it is to put it back on, though in this case removing some high durability urethane that's designed to not be shredded to pieces by the band saw blade running over it hundreds of thousands of times was by no means easy. That said, I did manage it, and got the new tires installed without too much fuss.

As I understand it, the orange makes it go faster.

No comments: