Saturday, May 6, 2023

Life Begins Anew

Despite being quite fond of xeriscaping, I do find that having a patch of lush green grass does wonders for my mood, which is why I've been putting some time and effort into regrowing my emotional support lawn in the back yard this year.

I reseeded it about a week before spreading the compost, which I wrote about last week, and now this week the new grass seedlings are finally popping up.

I've had quite a bit of difficulty with previous seeding attempts, largely due to poor timing on my part. The lawn would end up drying out before the seeds germinated, and then the local bird population would just fly in and pick the whole patch of dirt clean. Not this time, though; thanks to the wet spring and the thin layer of compost the seeds have had time to fully rehydrate and sprout up, and with any luck they'll grow into strong, deep rooted grass plants over the next few weeks.

In other outdoors news, the geraniums are blooming.

They're a little damp from the unseasonably late rain that fell this morning.

The blue potato bush is also blooming.

This is about as nice as it ever looks. It really is one ugly motherfucker. I'll probably remove it at some point.

The echeveria is also getting ready to put on a show.

These will soon turn into 2-foot-long flower stalks.

No comments: