Tuesday, May 2, 2023

Golden Brown and Delicious

I made up a new batch of pot pies this weekend, and decided to perform a little experiment. Previously I had been doing nothing special to the pastry crusts after assembling the pot pies, but this time I mixed up some powdered egg yolk and whole milk to make a bit of an egg wash to brush over top.

The result? Lots of browning on top.

The browning is a little bit uneven and streaky on this one, though. The egg wash mixture I whipped up was a bit thick, so after the first two I thinned it out with a bit more milk and so I expect those will look more even.

This is what it looked like before baking, fresh out of the freezer.

If you look closely you can sort of tell that the egg wash on this is a little bit uneven.

Of course, the most important thing is that it was very tasty indeed.

No comments: