Sunday, September 26, 2021

Numismatism

One of the things thats perplexed me about living in this house is how often I've found loose change just rattling around in the strangest places.

For example, when I was planting the lantana yesterday, I came upon what initially looked like a curiously small penny; it was very copper coloured but slightly smaller than I'd normally expect it to be. After cleaning it off I discovered that it was in fact just a very dirty dime from 1965.

Being from 1965 would make it entirely likely that this dime was lost way back when the house was originally built. It also makes it somewhat likely that whoever dropped it is now dead, so I'm not gonna go out of my way to try to track them down to return it.

I checked with a coin database online, and apparently a 1965 Roosevelt dime is worth 10 cents! It's also apparently the first year when the US mint stopped using silver in the dimes, and instead switched to a copper-nickel over copper construction. I guess that might explain why its original owner saw fit to throw it away.

No comments: