Thursday, September 23, 2021

Hide and Seek

So I recently revived my old Mac Mini to serve as a secondary home server, so that I could keep essential services (like dhcp and dns for example) online when I wanted to do something to my main server that might take it offline for a while (more on that in a future post).

As part of this process I decided it would be appropriate to mount the Mini in my server closet of doom. I ordered a premade mac mini mount from the everything store (which got lost, so I had to refund it and order another), and while I was mulling things over, I realized that the design of this particular mount wouldn't necessarily be ideal for using in my server closet (again, more on this in a future post).

However, it would be ideal for hiding away my main Mini.

So I went to work drilling a few holes in the underside of my desk, making very sure to not drill through the top or use screws too long that would end up rupturing the top surface, and like magic the Mini disappeared, freeing up a small but meaningful bit of desk space.

And the Mini has a new home down below, tucked safely out of the way.

As a bonus, this will also make it slightly quieter in the rare occasions that the fan decides to spin up.

No comments: