Thursday, September 16, 2021

Caloric Containment

Last week I decided to make myself some rice to go along with my usual Thursday lunch of instant ramen (I like it, it's a once-a-week thing). I cooked the rice as normal in my rice cooker, spooned it out onto a plate, spread it out a little and sprinkled it with soy sauce and a little fresh ground pepper.

By the time I ate it, it was pretty much cold. Rice doesn't have a lot of thermal mass, and spreading it out on a plate really increases its surface area. This is not ideal.

So, I took a hint from the masters of rice consumption: the Japanese. I got a set of bowls appropriately sized for rice, and not coincidentally also appropriately sized for instant ramen (regular cereal bowls are a bit too small, which is not a good situation when trying to contain a liquid such as soup).

I'm pretty happy with how things turned out.

In case you're wondering, the stuff on top of the rice in the background is assorted pickled vegetables, aka giardiniera, which isn't very Japanese, but is very tasty. Also some kalamata olives, which also aren't terribly Japanese, and also are very tasty.

No comments: