Wednesday, March 3, 2021

Turn the Dark Up

My craft room / office and the room that will eventually become a guest bedroom both have south-facing windows, with nice views into my back yard. This presents a conundrum, as the sunlight coming in during the day is really quite a bit too bright, but I also don't want to block the view of the great outdoors.

There are a few solutions to this problem, but I decided to go for tinting the windows. I ordered a few rolls off of Amazon and started the install process.

It looks dramatic but once the other piece goes in, your eyes adjust and the tint doesn't look so dramatic.

Of course, this photo makes it look a bit darker on account of it also being later in the evening, so let's fast-forward to the next day and see what it's like in full sun.

There we go! It looks almost the same as the first photo, or at least like a much more subtle change. But the reduction of light is quite welcome and I'm no longer getting blinded by the reflection of the sunbeam on the floor.

I didn't take any in-process pics of the guest room install, but I did take an "after" pic of the completed tint.

Again, it doesn't look like much until you compare it with how much light pours in without the tint.

And yes, I'm planning to fix the screens at some point.

No comments: