Monday, February 18, 2019

Little Fixes, Little Upgrades

Almost all of the fixtures in the house were upgraded prior to selling. Except, oddly enough, the one in the front entryway.


(And I guess technically the porch light outside too but I haven't touched that one yet.)

God-awful ugly thing, especially splattered with ceiling texture and coated with dust. It could probably be restored to its former glory, but I have neither the time nor the patience to do so. Instead, I picked up a relatively inexpensive 9-inch LED flush-mount fixture from the 'ol Home Despot.


Much brighter, much cleaner, much prettier. And less likely to get smashed to bits if I accidentally whack it with something I'm carrying in the door.

Meanwhile out in the garage the previous owner managed to install some plumbing and, to their credit, did at least attempt to vent the drain line. However they only made it about 6 inches short of getting through the roof, so the venting was just open to the garage space, and as a result the garage tended to be a touch on the smelly side. Since there's a proper vent stack not too far away, I decided to chop off the tower to nowhere and cap it with an island vent.



No "before" picture on this one, forgot to take one. Just imagine a really tall 1-1/2" ABS pipe with no supports whatsoever, just swaying in the breeze.

No comments: