Wednesday, December 26, 2018

The Way of the Wood Elf

So Ikea decided to do a bit of a daft thing and designed the leveling feet on my wardrobe with an unintentional breakaway feature.


So I decided to sacrifice a broken pants hanger for some reinforcement.


Things initially seemed to be going well with just wood glue holding things in place.


But when time came to drill the hole from the backside after a day of drying, it popped off the smooth surface of the picture-of-wood covering the particle board underneath. So plan B: do a bit of sanding to rough up the surface (which I really should have done in the first place) and glue it again.



Also, add more clamps.


Reinforce with some screws.


And success!


This is all hidden under the base of the wardrobe unit so you'll never see it, and hopefully this is the last time I'll ever need to think of it too. Now all I have to do is actually reassemble the wardrobe.

No comments: