Saturday, December 22, 2018

All Steamed Up

Finally I am free from the tyranny of dirty laundry!


The washer and dryer arrived today and I couldn't be happier. They're a jumbo set because there's few things I hate more than having to do laundry, so the fewer loads I can do, the better. Also separating whites and colours is for chumps.

The washer was able to handle a giant pile of blankets and towels without even coming close to breaking a sweat. Even the highly absorbent bath mats were no match for it; even just a single one would send lesser washers skittering across the floor on the spin cycle, but not even a pair was enough to get this thing shaking.

The dryer is pretty spiffy too, it was able to dry that load of towels and blankets and so on perfectly in under an hour. This is probably the biggest improvement from moving out, the combo unit in my apartment would have taken 3 hours and left the bath mats barely less soaking wet than they'd started.

The dryer also has an interesting steam function where you can toss in, say, a set of sheets that's been wrinkled up from being folded lazily and stuffed in a drawer, and it'll then blast it with steam for 10 minutes before drying it out again, spitting it out with that 'fresh from the dryer' feel. Very nifty.

In other drying news, I've installed the towel bar in the fancy bathroom.



This is so much nicer than using the hook behind the door for hanging the hand towel. Conveniently it's just above the furnace vent so it should stay nice and dry and not get all stanky. I may yet add a towel hook next to the shower, or I might just keep tossing my towel on the vanity when I shower, I haven't made up my mind on that yet.

Only other remaining items for this room is replacing the grungy faucet and the doesn't-actually-hold-water pop up drain (already purchased), and fixing some loose tiles near the door. At least, until I find something else wrong.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Towels don't dry well on hooks… there's no room for a bar? You could put a bar on the back of the door? I put a guest towel bar on the back of the bathroom door here. Of course, it doesn't open against a wall, so it has better air circulation.

Nicoya said...

I don't actually keep my bath towel in there, so it's not a big issue for me.