Thursday, April 24, 2008

Tomorrow is a bit behind schedule

Ok, so I'm a bit late on this blog post. It turns out that the place I rented wasn't nearly up to my expectations with regards to cleanliness and clutter in the common areas, and it really bummed me out. Also, I've been having difficulty accessing my money at home in a useful way that translates into paying rent.

Things are kind of slowly working themselves out on both counts, but it's still a work in progress.

Back to the travelogue though. The drive through Nevada was fairly uneventful, though a tad bit on the cool side. There was a thin dusting of snow to be seen in the ditches most of the way, but nothing like the weather problems of the day before.

I also picked up and/or just noticed another stone chip, over on the right hand side of the windshield again. Oh woe and despair, my poor windshield, how scarred you've become in such a short time on this verdant jellybean.

I really can't overstate how uneventful driving through Nevada was, especially considering what happened when I hit Reno, right next to the California border. You see, something strange happened here; all the cars grew California licence plates, and all the drivers turned around in their seats and started driving with their ass with a cinderblock on the gas pedal.

This transformation was not alone. The road itself even changed its nature. Gone was the freshly sealcoated asphault and carefully doweled concrete of the I-80 in Nevada, replaced by (I swear I'm not lying) *rutted* concrete absolutely riddled with cracks. Arnie very much hasn't been wasting any taxpayer money on road repairs.

I also had the lovely misfortune of passing through Sacramento right at the peak of rush hour... Here's a hint: don't do that.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

No encounters with desert mutants?

Unknown said...

Oh wait, that was just a movie.

Nicoya said...

Nope, no mutants. I didn't even see the 50-foot tall Michael Jackson robot roaming the desert.

tygunn said...

So I take it traffic there makes Winnipeg rush hour seem pleasant? Hrmmm. You're supposed to be selling me on Cali man!!!

Oh, and if you do happen upon the Jacko-Bot, please destroy...

Nicoya said...

It's a different form of traffic from Winnipeg Rush Hour. In winnipeg, there's a lot of cars that don't move; In california, there's a lot of cars that don't ever go below 90mph. They're both packed to pretty much the same density.