Monday, February 19, 2024

The Can-Do Spirit

So the time has come again to can up a fresh new batch of giardiniera. I only have a few jars of the old batch left, and the long weekend provided the perfect opportunity to spend a little time in the kitchen. The result is 15 jars of tasty pickled vegetables.

This is, somewhat curiously, more than the usual 12 jars that this recipe produces. I'm not entirely sure what accounts for the difference in volume this time around. Usually I buy some random amount of veggies that mysteriously always exactly fills my 8 quart food tote, and then by some mysterious folding of physics it all packs down into 12 pint jars. Apparently the imperial system is confusing enough to flummox even the universe itself.

Well, whatever the reason, I'm not exactly sad about having three extra jars to go through, since that means I'll have three more jars to eat before I have to make another batch.

The canning process itself went quite smoothly, though you might notice that the lids look a little bit dusty. This is actually due to the temporarily hard water that's being piped in while San Jose Water cleans the fish bones out of our usual supply, which is delightfully soft compared to this liquid rock they're sending me. I didn't know I could precipitate mineral scale like this just from boiling one pot of water, but, well...

That is, indeed, a rather alarming amount of minerals built up after just boiling one pot of water.

No comments: