Thursday, July 6, 2023

Fasciating Foods

So it's plum season, which basically means that the plum tree in my back yard decided that it's time to eat exactly as many plums as it deems necessary to ripen on any given day. Owning a fruit tree seems to be one of those things that's a lot more awesome in theory than in practice.

Anyway, it does occasionally entertain me with weirdly malformed fruit.

How oddly fasciating.

Then, not a day later, I find this suspiciously cancerous lump

Do trees get cancer? Is that a thing? Also what am I supposed to do when only one of these conjoined twins ripens and the other still needs some time?

Mysteries of the universe.

In other food news, I figured I'd share some photos of last weekend's food prep. First off, a fresh batch of bread posing with some brining giardiniera.

And the giardiniera post-canning.

It was shortly after canning that I realized I had accidentally doubled the salt in the pickling juice. I'm not too sure how this is going to turn out, but I figure if things go poorly then I can just pour off half the liquid and top it back up with some unsalted pickling juice and let it sit for a while to osmos back to equilibrium, and hopefully that'll rescue it.

It'll take a few weeks before I get to that, though, as I still have a few jars left from the last batch I made in February.

No comments: