Sunday, July 30, 2023

I Need To Get A Grip

When I rebuilt Blackbirb, one thing I didn't change was the grips. They were the original grips that came on the bike, and for the most part they did their job and weren't overly worn out or damaged.

However, I recently started to feel like they might be a bit on the small size. I could grip them with my fingers and leave a little gap in my palm, or I could grip them with my palm and thumb and leave a little gap with my fingers. Neither position resulted in the grips really filling my hands.

Luckily for me, grips are cheap and easy to swap.

These new grips are quite a bit chunkier than the old ones, as well as being a lock-on style, meaning that rather than the grip being slightly undersized and holding onto the bar by the friction of the rubber, it instead has a collar with a bolt that tightens down and clamps onto the bar. This makes the grips much easier to install and remove, and also makes them much less susceptible to dirt and grime working their way under the grip and compromising that friction fit.

So, it's out with the old grips.

And in with the new.

These are definitely chunkier, and hopefully they'll be grippy and comfortable when I'm riding.

No comments: