Wednesday, September 21, 2022

Tumbling Down, Tumbling Down, Tumbling Down

On my last post I left things off with a bit of a cliffhanger. My clothes dryer had unexpectedly died on me, and I promised a future blog update with a recap of my adventures in reviving it.

Well lucky for you, today is that day.

Basically, the issue with this LG dryer was pretty simple: it was just stone dead. You'd plug it in, press the power button, and nothing. Not a chime, not a beep, not a blink, not an error code. Just nothing, no life whatsoever. It was just pining for the fjords.

Now you might think that this would be a bit of a perplexing kerfuffle. With no symptoms other than "it don't work", what could I possibly have to go on?

Well, luckily, that one symptom was enough to basically eliminate everything but two components. It was either the power switch or the main control board, as there were no other components involved in the initial power-up of the dryer. There's dozens of things that can die in a dryer, like a thermal fuse, a broken belt, a dead motor start capacitor, and so on and so forth, but none of them will stop the device from booting up. (And it pains me that appliances these days need to 'boot up'. Teaching rocks to think was a mistake.)

Anyway, the control board was pretty easy to identify, thanks to the nice big sticker on it.

And it was cheaper than buying a whole new dryer. Maybe not by a whole lot, but cheaper, especially if I were to replace it with another model as fancy as this.

Not only was it relatively inexpensive, it was also available on Amazon. A few days later, it was available on my front step.

So, in it goes. Just swap over all the colour coded connectors, plug the power in, hit the button on the front and...

It's as simple as that. We're back in business again. I can now dry clothes once more.

But more importantly, I have a place to put all this clutter again.

Some of which might be flammable.

Ah, whatever, it's fine. Probably.

No comments: