Sunday, July 24, 2022

Not Giardia

Made a fresh batch of giardiniera on Friday/Saturday. Last batch was running low; I was down to only 3 pint jars yet left unopened.

I ran a little bit low on some spices since I just sort of assumed I had enough left over from the previous batch and didn't actually check. Lesson learned I guess. I'm pretty sure it'll still turn out just lovely though.

One big change from the last batch is that I didn't top the jars with olive oil. Last time I had some trouble with the oil burping out when I was canning the jars, and over all I didn't really feel like it added much to the experience, especially since after opening the jar I'd store it in the fridge, which would result in the oil solidifying on top. If I'm really desperate for it to be oilier, I can always just add some after I scoop out my portion from the jar.

Anyway, I now have two sets of pint jars, so I don't need to worry about making sure I time the new batch right for when the last jar from the old batch is used up. I can pick and choose whenever I want to make another, so long as I have at least 12 jars emptied. And as long as I remember to pick up a new pack of lids.

And more spices.

No comments: