Sunday, July 24, 2022

An improvement of exactly 220

My Garmin 810 has been serving me well for a number of years now, but it was getting a bit long in the tooth and part of the covering on the display was starting to delaminate, so I have been contemplating the idea of getting a replacement at some point.

As it would happen, a coworker was selling a Garmin 1030, which is only 1.5 generations old (there was a 1030+ released at some point, and then the 1040 was released just a month or two ago) for quite a good price, so I jumped at the opportunity.

It's a touch larger to make room for the bigger screen, and is a fair bit thinner (not that it really matters).

They also put the buttons down on the bottom edge, which is actually kind of a little unfortunate.

For reasons.

But luckily since it's a quarter-turn mount I can just give the unit a bit of a twist to access the start/stop button. Since I only have to do that once at the start of the ride and once at the end of the ride, this isn't a really big deal.

It is a bit silly though.

So it fits, mostly, on Purple Haze. That's good. It fits quite easily on Blackbirb thanks to the mount on that one being above the stem. I have a top cap mount on Crimson Ghost though, and on there.

Hmm,  yeah, that still counts as fitting I guess.

It might have been more wise to wait around for an Edge 830 to pop up (which is the latest version of the 810, though with the 1040 having just arrived one does wonder when an 840 might join the lineup). But, the price on this was quite good so I think this was still a good decision.

No comments: