Wednesday, May 25, 2022

Asking Y Is Just The Start

For quite a while I've been having the occasional starting issue with the PedoVan. Everything would seem fine with the battery and its state of charge, but turning the key to the start position would result in a clunk and not really much else.

I took it to the Mercedes dealer a few times to have them debug this issue, and for the most part they really weren't much help. Eventually I gave up on them and decided to take matters into my own hands.

A little research pointed me towards a few possible culprits. There could be a bad relay supplying power to one of the engine computers, the high resistance causing it to think the battery was low, which would make it interrupt the starter so as to not destroy the battery. There could also be an issue with the Y cable, which connects the battery to the starter and the alternator. There could be an issue with the engine computer itself. There could be an issue with the starter.

Which was it? Who knows.

So, I started from cheapest fix to most expensive. First up: replacing the ECU relay. It was relatively easy to do, but had no meaningful effect on the starting issue.

Next up on the list was the Y cable, so I bought a replacement and then got kinda lazy for a while, distracted with other projects and so on. But eventually I got around to swapping it in and...

No comments: