Wednesday, March 2, 2022

My Eyes Are Dim, I Cannot See

I have not brought my specs with me.

Over the past few years I've finally started to get to the point where I've noticed that my ability to focus close up isn't quite what it used to be. Which is to say, the minimum distance I can focus my eyes seems to have stretched out to maybe 10 inches, at least comfortably. Still plenty close enough to read and do basically anything other than very fine work up close without correction.

That said, when I'm doing some really fine work like painting my nails or maybe some sewing tasks, getting a bit more up-close and personal can be nice.

Enter: cheap amazon reading glasses.

These were listed as "1.5x", which you'd think would mean 150% magnification or something like that, where the "1x" version would imply just flat glass lenses with no correction. But the fact that they also offered "0x" as an option, which otherwise makes literally no sense, leads me think that what it actually means is diopters and they're just being stupid about how they write it.

A nice bonus is that because they're plastic lenses they block most UV light, which means I don't have to worry as much about cooking my eyes while I wait for my gel nail polish to dry, so that's kind of cool.

Anyway, I suppose it's nice that I didn't waste the $15 I spent getting 5 pairs of these, though I don't expect I'll be making too much use of them for another 5 or 10 years at least. Maybe by then we'll have some sort of stem cell fanciness where we can just grow new lenses in a test tube and I really will have wasted that $15 after all.

Time will tell.

No comments: