Wednesday, March 23, 2022

An Under Cover Operation

Not that long ago I bought some cheap motorcycle covers to keep the deadly solar radiation from fading the plastics on my bikes. They've been doing a bang-up job of this, for the most part. but it seems that they are not, themselves, immune to the very ultraviolet rays they're designed to protect against.

The black material up top has fared ok, but the silvery material at the bottom has gone all papery and brittle, and will tear itself to bits if you so much as look at it funny.

So, I decided that I would see what the other end of the price scale can deliver in the motorcycle cover market.

The difference is pretty dramatic. There's a lot of fabric here; the other covers were a barely-there nylon material, whereas this cover is made out of a weighty stretch fabric of some sort.

Of course, it'll be a few years before I can see how well it puts up with being baked in the California sunshine, but so far I think I like it a lot better.

I may try to repair the other motorcycle covers by replacing the silver material with some decent quality fabric, or I might just get a whole new set of covers for the other bikes, but that's a decision for another day.

No comments: