Thursday, January 27, 2022

Popping Jalapeños

As a side dish for some of my meals during the week I had been picking up some mushrooms stuffed with bacon and blue cheese, one of those "made in the store out of produce that's about to expire" products. They were tasty, but had spotty availability.

So occasionally I'd end up buying something else instead, and once or twice that would end up being jalapeño poppers, which introduced me to the idea of making them myself.

Why would I make them myself? Because they were also a product of very spotty availability.

And wouldn't you know it, but it just so happened that both the stuffed mushrooms and jalapeño poppers were out of stock at the same time. So...

They're pretty easy to make. One package of cream cheese, plus 8 ounces of various cheese. In these ones I split it into 4oz of gruyere and 4oz of cheddar. The cheddar tends to make a lot of grease ooze out during baking, so I might sub it out for some emmentaler or fontina or gouda or something. Lots of options.

Meanwhile, the latest batch of pot pies turned out lovely.

It looks more burned in the photo than it was in person. The puff pastry wasn't quite as puffy as I wanted, so there's another technique I want to try on the next batch.

No comments: