Friday, January 28, 2022

Breathing Easy

I'd put off getting some kind of air filter for the car hole since I was mostly planning to do hand tool woodworking that doesn't tend to fill the air with fine dust like power tool woodworking does.

Then I started welding. Welding, and stick welding in particular, is a very energetic process and while the goal is to transfer most if not all of the electrode to the base metal, the process tends to vaporize a lot of the weld metal and flux into the air. In fact, burning one or two 7014 rods tends to make the air look about as fresh as a donut shop in the 80s.

So, the solution is simple enough: get a shop air filter.

It took a bit of doing to install since my rafters are 24-ish inches apart (and the builders were apparently not too picky about hitting their numbers), so I had to bridge the gap to get something a bit closer to the 14 inch distance between the mounting hooks.

In all the install took me about an hour from end to end. The filter has a convenient RF remote, and it's pleasantly quiet in operation.

I approve.

No comments: