Wednesday, April 15, 2020

The Crimson Ghost

Opportunity knocked recently. I had been looking towards the idea of possibly getting a Santa Cruz 5010 as my next bicycle sometime in the future. As it so happened, a coworker was selling theirs in a very nice spec at a very nice price.


So it followed me home. Say hello to The Crimson Ghost.

Now my memory is a bit shady, but I recall contemplating using that name on my BMX before forgetting what name I actually settled on for it. With that in mind, my BMX will henceforth be known as Euclid, because it's built up for flatland.

Speaking of building, bikes don't tend to fit into boxes in one piece.


Thankfully they're not too hard to assemble.

Now, being a used bike purchased from a coworker with a separated shoulder it does have a few scratches and dings on it, but nothing too major. Just enough to take the "new bike shine" off and keep me from worrying about adding a few battle scars of my own.

I'm still not completely settled on whether I'll put a bottle cage on. I had initially planned to run it as pictured above with the bottle cage and tool kit tucked up above it, but unfortunately there's just not quite enough room to mount a mini pump to the bottle cage on this frame, and the tight space at the top of the downtube doesn't leave enough room to fit a set of CO2 inflators in the tool pack. So for now I removed the bottle cage (temporarily borrowed from BlackBirb) and put the tool pack lower so it has room to fit the CO2.

I haven't been using bottles much anyway, as I've got the hydration bladder for my backpack which I wear on longer rides.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to getting out and putting some miles on it. You know, after the apocalypse is over.

No comments: