Saturday, September 14, 2019

A Test Run

I decided to saddle up on Dirty Dozen and put a few miles on it to see what cycling to and from work would be like from my new house.

Northbound, southbound.

The answer: not bad, but it'll take a bit more time out of the day than I'd like. Most importantly, I wouldn't be able to make it to the office by 9am if I woke up at my usual time of 7am, and waking up earlier would likely fuck up my sleep schedule a bit too much.

Also the flat tire on the way back wasn't too awesome. Picked up a nail while coming into Saratoga. Real nice of the construction folks to actually secure cargo in the back of their ratty, broken-down pickup trucks.

Anyway, flat tires aside, it's a little over 1.5 hours wall time each way. The question now is whether I could trim that down significantly with an e-bike (class 3 so I can get boosted up to 28mph), enough so that I could roll into work at the usual time? Though for the moment the question is largely academic as e-road bikes (as opposed to the annoying flat-bar commuter bikes) are still in the early days and priced well above what I'd want to spend on a speculative buy.

I guess we'll see what the future brings in the next few years. Until then, I'll be enjoying my motorcycles.

No comments: