Monday, September 10, 2007

New Kicks

My last pair of Etonics have had a hard life. The inside of the heels wore through, so I had them patched up last year. Then this summer I walked well over 5km per day in them and managed to wear right through the sole. It's time for me to put them to rest.

So mother phoned this afternoon and let me know that the particular model of Etonics I've been wearing are no longer sold, but a different brand has a similar model shoe that happened to be on sale.

As I was going out grocery shopping anyway I decided to take a look. I also apparently decided to get rained on, but that's another matter entirely.

I had a look at the new shoes, and they certainly looked to be similar to my old Etonics. But it occurred to me that my shoe needs have changed over the years, and perhaps I should be looking for something new. Specifically, I've started unicycling.

Now, they certainly don't make shoes specifically designed for unicycling, but they do make shoes designed for skateboarding or BMXing, and the requirements of the two overlap quite a bit. As a bonus, all the skateboarding shoes were on sale for 2 pair for $50!

In the end I took home a pair of Dragons. I don't know why they're called dragons, but they fit and they've got lots of padding and a nice flat sole, so that's all that matters.

Also, on the way home, I happened to run into my old boss at Wheelchair Service of Manitoba (not literally, thank goodness. His van is a lot bigger than my car). Had a nice quick chat with him.

I also got rained on a lot. I wasn't quite so fond of that part.

3 comments:

Bob Ludwick said...

Cool shoes!
My kind of shopper. On sale for a great price.

Unknown said...

Say, "Thank you Mom." Why do the grey pair look smaller than the black ones?

Nicoya said...

"Thank you mom".

The grey ones look smaller because they have smaller soles and less padding. They're roughly the same size on the inside.