Sunday, August 19, 2007

Spreading the Disease

So this evening I had a little time to kill, so I decided to hop on my unicycle and practice the fine art of stopping and reversing (still don't quite have it down, but I'm getting there).

Part way through my riding a family rolled into the parking lot and was quite impressed at my riding abilities. I did a little bit of showing off for them (nothing too fancy, just riding around) and they were all suitably entertained.

The father in particular showed a great deal of interest, and after chatting for a little bit I managed to convince him to give it a spin. He quite nearly fell flat on his ass, of course, so it's a good thing he was hanging onto the railing.

It seemed to break the ice a bit with the neighbours, and before the night was out about half of them had given it a try, and much fun was had by all.

All in all, I'm really glad I decided to take up unicycling. Regular cycling is fun and certainly a lot more practical, but it's hard to argue with the way unicycling can bring people together.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like you are becoming quite sociable. I thought working for Apple was supposed to make you more like a nerd, not less. ;)

Nicoya said...

Apple is a pretty cool company. It's not really a pocket-protector zone.