Today on the bench is a familiar fellow, the Yamaha FB-01. When we last saw this happy little black box it was suffering from a shorted capacitato, which I fixed on video.
At the time I noticed that the tact switches were a bit iffy, but the ones used in the FB-01 are a slightly peculiar 2-pin rectangular switch that I didn't have replacements for. I ordered a pack of them, but they took a week or two to show up, so I set the box aside and didn't really think about it.
Until now, that is.
So let's dig in.
I think the front panel might be removable without pulling off the top case, but it's only 6 extra screws so not really a big deal.
Disassembling the front panel, we find my favourite thing: a broken screw standoff.
Oh goodie. Well let's glue that together with some superglue so it can fail to bond even slightly.
I'm sure it'll be fine.
[Narrator: it was not fine]
Moving on, the button panel PCB comes out quite easily.
And on the flip side we can see that they didn't exactly spend a lot of time laying out these traces.
If it works, it works I guess.
Desoldering went smoothly.
As did soldering in the new switches.
And for the grand reveal, did the super glue stick?
Of course not.
But no worries, I'll just apply some more and then screw everything back together before I notice that it didn't stick again.
I'm sure it's probably fine.











No comments:
Post a Comment