Friday, June 28, 2024

Being Picky

The plums have been doing well this year, and mostly I've been harvesting them by either grabbing the ones I could reach, or using my 8 foot stepladder to get the ones higher up. However, this means I have to move the stepladder around quite a bit while picking, and I also can't necessarily reach the plums that are hiding behind too much foliage that blocks my access.

But technology to the rescue.

This type of wire basket fruit picker is ideal for plums since they're a very soft fruit and, once they're ripe, they fall easily from the branch with just a little coaxing.

There's still a few branches I can't reach without using the combination of the ladder and the picker, but it's much more convenient than using the ladder for everything.

These aren't all quite ripe just yet, but I'm picking them a little bit early to keep them away from the rats, and because they'll ripen up nicely on the counter in a day or two. Then it's a quick wash and into the freezer with them so I can turn them into jam once the season comes to a close. More on that when the time comes.

No comments: