Monday, May 27, 2024

Clickety Clack

 So now that I've dipped my toes in to the magical world of mechanical keyboards, it's time to get serious about it. The cheap Magegee 80% keyboard will work nicely for my server, but I have been taking the opportunity to put a few miles on it in production use to see what I liked and didn't like about it, with an eye towards perhaps replacing a few other keyboards around the house.

First off, the big thing (literally) that I wasn't fond of was the full depth key travel. It's been a dog's age (literally) since I last used a full depth keyboard, and I've been getting quite used to the short action of a low profile keyboard. It lets me keep my fingertips a little less curled without them fouling on neighbouring keys, and even though I got somewhat used to it over the course of a week or so of typing, I decided I wasn't fond of the idea of going back to full depth.

Luckily, low profile mechanical keyboards, while a bit less common than full depth ones, do exist, and so I ordered up the Keychron K5 Pro to use on my wintendo.

It's a full-size keyboard, which comes in handy when playing modded games (Minecraft, Skyrim, etc) where mod authors have a fondness for adding hotkeys as a necessary component of accessing their mod features. Once you add a few of those, you quickly start running out of keys, so having some extras really comes in handy.

I decided to go with the brown switches for this one, rather than the blue switches I got on the Magegee. The browns are a tactile rather than a clicky, which means they still have a bump in the travel to give some positive feedback of key activation without necessarily having to bottom out the key switch, but they're a bit quieter and a bit smoother than a blue clicky keyswitch.

I also tried putting this keyboard to work for a few days to get a good feel for it, and I was quite pleased with the low profile key travel. The brown tactile keyswitches were also quite nice, but I did find that for full-on typing rather than gaming, I did miss the more positive key feel of the blue clicky switches.

Luckily, since my wintendo is primarily for gaming, that actually worked out quite well.

Armed with this knowledge, I made a selection for the keyboard I'd be using as my daily driver at my work setup.

This is the NuPhy Air75 V2, which is as the name suggests, a 75% layout. It still has all 12 F-keys, the arrow keys in an inverted-T configuration (though it's tucked in under the Enter key rather than on its own island as it would be in an 80% layout), and impressively manages to not only squeeze in the page-up/down, home/end and ins/del keys, but also has space left over for a dedicated screengrab key (though every key on the keyboard is technically configurable for whatever you'd like).

The unboxing experience is curiously recursive, but does at least give a decent first impression.

But what actually matters, of course, is the keyboard itself. I opted for the lightest colour option, with the mostly-white keyset that's paired with a lovely grey for the special keys, and a nice accent with the enter, space, and escape keys.

The backside has a nice metal weight to give the keyboard some heft, as well as 2-level flip-down feet. The case is all plastic down there, but decently good quality stuff.

They also include a 2.4GHz dongle in case bluetooth isn't your cup of tea, plus a sampling of their alternate switches. I opted to get the keyboard kitted out with the blue clicky switches, but I was very close to picking the wisteria tactile switches instead. The moss tactile switches (a little bit heavier spring pressure) feel quite nice as well, and as expected I wasn't overly thrilled with the linear cowberry and moss switches. There just wasn't enough "there" there.

They also included a selection of alternate keycaps, in case you wanted to use this keyboard on a windows or linux system, or if you preferred your F6 key to have notification silencing instead of sleep mode as its alternate function, or just if you preferred a red escape key and a teal enter key, instead of a red enter key and a teal escape key.

I did, of course, opt to swap out the screen capture keycap for the screen cat-pture keycap.

Also in the box: a set of keyboard waifu stickers. I'm not sure what other people do with their keyboards, but I usually just type on mine.

They also included all the usual quick-start documentation, along with...

... a keyboard waifu poster. Sure, I guess.

Anyway, this keyboard slots in perfectly in my work setup, and I have every reason to believe that it will provide me with many years of typing joy.

And if not, I can always make sweet, clicky love to my new keyboard waifu.

No comments: