Friday, January 5, 2024

Pulling The Pin

When I set up my c-stand with my camera gear, one thing I didn't count on was the difficulty I would face with trying to mount my ring light. I'd purchased a ball head which I expected to be able to use, but it turned out to be a little insufficient for the task at hand.

Not only did it have a bit too much difficulty keeping it vertical, the 1/4-20 coarse pitch thread that the ring light mounted with provided basically zero resistance to coming unscrewed, and would do so if you even so much as sneezed in another room.

So I decided it was time to pull the pin.

The baby pin, that is. That's the name for these 5/8 pins with the necked shank on one end (to prevent the set screw that secures it from sliding off the end). This one features a 3/8-16 stud on one end, which you might recognize as also being a coarse thread, and thus subject to inadvertent, unplanned disassembly. However, there is a solution to that, which comes in the form of using a nylock nut to lock things in place.

And yes, coincidentally the ring light just happened to have both sizes of threaded holes in its mounting bracket.

The baby pin fits into the gobo head, and gives us a three axis mounting system so that we can aim the light and camera wherever we please.

And these are designed to securely hold way, way more weight than a basic 1/4-20 ball head, so it has no difficulty supporting this light, even with the camera attached.

And that bodes well for getting shots like this.

Hmm, there's that Singer 301 again. I wonder why it keeps popping up?

No comments: