Friday, August 18, 2023

The Gripping Conclusion

After the lacklustre results from my earlier science experiment with running grips through the dishwasher, I decided to fall back to the old, reliable methods of refreshing grips.

Which is to say: buying new ones.

Despite my attempts at cleaning, the old ones were just not going to return to their former glory.

Though I suppose I shouldn't have expected a trip through the dishwasher to replace the missing chunks.

Anyway, finding replacements for these was a little bit tricky. Santa Cruz still sells these ones, which are colour matched to the accent colour on this bike.

But unfortunately they're out of stock.

Thankfully PNW sells a similar colour, though the shade is a bit more seafoam blue rather than seafoam green.

It's just a little bit off. I think they were trying to go for Yeti Teal rather than Santa Cruz Seafoam.

That said, it's close enough that from any reasonable distance you can't really tell that it's not quite the right shade.

And certainly out in the wild the difference doesn't stand out.

It was on this ride, interestingly enough, that I was reminded that my rear hub is making some creaking noises. I decided that it was about time to dig into it, and things took a bit of a turn. But that's a story for another day.

No comments: