Friday, January 13, 2023

Please Remain Seated

Way back, somewhere around the dawn of time, I bought a chair from Ikea. It has generally been serving me well since then, and I've been using it as my WFH throne since the end of all things.

Now it may look as though this chair has worn the years quite well, but if we look a little deeper, we start to see a picture painted that's not quite so rosy.

It is, unfortunately, pretty messed up. Not quite as obvious in this photo, but the padding (which is just a fairly thin layer of foam) has also completely collapsed, which makes it a less than ideal place to spend my working hours.

I seem to recall this chair being quite inexpensive, and considering it's made out of plywood and polystyrene foam under that less-than-durable fabric I certainly got what I paid for. I'm not sure exactly what it cost new though, as it seems Ikea has recycled the name and some of the looks for a new model of chair that they're selling for $330-$350, which is definitely a lot more than I paid for mine.

Anyway, fast forward to today and this box shows up on my doorstep.

After a few minutes of "OH GOD WHAT DID I DRUNK BUY ON AMAZON THIS TIME" panic I realized that it was actually my new chair showing up a week earlier than expected.

The important features of this chair for me were that it have a wide, flat seat first of all. I have meaty legs and I like to let them spread out a little, and I've never gotten along with sitting with my knees pointed straight forward and together. Secondly, it needed to not have arms, since the workbench I have my office set up on has a fairly wide support rail that goes along the front, which interferes with chair arms should I try to scoot forward so I'm a reasonable distance from the desk. I also didn't want a chair with wheels, as I find wheels on chairs to oddly be more trouble than their worth.

This chair checks all those boxes, and with a little bit of luck it'll serve me comfortably for many years to come.

No comments: