Tuesday, October 11, 2022

A Few Loose Ends

Back when I put together The Stig, I had a few niggling issues, one of which was the lock rings on the brake rotors. I couldn't use the external-style lock ring on the front wheel because the fork didn't have enough clearance to fit it, and I couldn't use the internal-style lock ring on the rear wheel because my lock ring tool wasn't deep enough to clear the end of the axle cap.

Well, I solved that problem today by buying a new lock ring tool.

Now my lock rings match front and rear, which is something that literally nobody but me will ever, ever notice. But I do notice it and it's nice that they match.

The other issue I had was with the rims not holding air. An early suspect was that the valves weren't seating properly on the rim, so I had swapped them out for a different set that had a profile better suited for narrower rims. That didn't end up fixing the issue, and I eventually tracked down the problem to improperly installed rim tape.

However, after I replaced the rim tape, I kept using the other set of valves stems, even though the silver colour of them didn't really fit in with the colour scheme of the bike.

So, since I was messing with things anyway, I decided to give the original valve stems another shot. We'll see if I regret this decision later, I guess.

But they sure do look nice!

No comments: