Tuesday, June 22, 2021

A Door, A Bull

Much like (or unlike, as the Mythbusters demonstrated many years ago) a bull in a china shop, I occasionally run into things I don't mean to. Sometimes this means my toe meets the leg of my coffee table, my shin says hello the corner of my bed frame or, in this case, my knee introduces itself violently to the door on my slant-top desk.

That's not quite sitting right. Looking closer...

The hinge-side stile seems to be looking a little worse for wear.

Ah yes, cheap Ikea construction bites again. if this were a quality frame and panel door, there would be a tenon on the rail that would extend all the way through the stile so that this sort of damage would be less likely to happen, due to the long grain keeping the stile from splitting. Much like this haunched mortise and tenon joint illustration that I stole from the internet.

But, well, Ikea.

So on to the fix, which involves first drilling a few worm holes in through the back of the door.

A number 55 drill bit turned out to be the exact right size for injecting the glue, which is the step that came next.

And letting it sit in the clamps for a few hours.

Before finally remounting, much less cracked and crooked than before.

At least until the next time I run into it with my knee.

No comments: