Sunday, April 11, 2021

Lunchlady Doris, du y'have any grease?

So I've often struggled with hoses, cables and cords where the outer jacket is made of a soft plastic or synthetic rubber. This is great for flexibility, but terrible for tangles: the soft surface ends up kind of grippy and so it refuses to slide against itself and instead just binds up and knots.

But when I was installing my new air hose reel I noticed something curious: they included in the package a sealed wipe that was moistened with silicone lube. Checking the manual, it noted "if the hose is too grippy and tends to tangle, lubricate it using a cloth soaked with silicone lubricant".

Huh, yeah. That does make a lot of sense, doesn't it?

I tried it on my old air hose that was incredibly, frustratingly tangle-prone, and what do you know: it works.

No comments: