Saturday, April 10, 2021

It Spins!

The ceiling fan in my bedroom had a problem. Or two problems, really.

The first problem was the LED module that provided the primary illumination for the room. I mean, there's also the four pot lights, but those don't have a remote control that I can easily turn on and off from my bed. I could fix that, and may yet, but that's a project for another day.

Anyway, the issue is that the LED module was flickering and spazzing out, jumping between bright and dark randomly and annoyingly. It was basically an automatic lightswitch rave. Not ideal.

I pulled the module off and tried to find a replacement, but the manufacturer eventually informed me that it was sold out and I'd have to wait some unknown number of months to even find out how much a replacement would cost. Also not ideal.

These pictures will have to do as the "before" picture of the replacement, as I forgot to take a better picture before disassembling the old fan.

Anyway, the second problem is that the fan motor was rattling intermittently. Considering I like to have the fan running when I'm sleeping, rattling is really not ideal.

These two problems combined convinced me that it was time to give up on those home center special left over from the previous owners and just start over fresh and new. So off to Amazon I went and, a few days waiting and about a half hour installing later, I now have this.

It's quiet, the light doesn't flicker, and it has three blades instead of six. That latter change is somewhat inconsequential but I thought it worth mentioning.

Anyway, it's a nice upgrade, and it will hopefully last longer than the last one. Maybe.

No comments: