Thursday, October 22, 2020

The View Ahead

 I've designed a few revisions of camera mounts for my road bikes, and the previous champion of that process was this design that I cooked up slightly more hastily than maybe I should have.

The mounting plate for the camera was much chunkier than it needed to be, and I designed it around the standard 1/4-20 screw mounting, for which my camera needs an adapter to mount to (the long bit with the metal backbone) rather than just printing out the adapter as an integrated part of the mount. It also didn't have any accommodation for an external battery pack, which meant I was limited to 45-90 minutes between battery swaps.

I finally got tired of dealing with those downsides, so I printed up a new camera mount that solved all those problems.

There's no more chunky baseplate, it has a battery holder integrated right into it, and best of all I printed the adapter for the camera directly into the mount itself.

Will it hold up to the trials and tribulations of road cycling? No idea, I haven't ridden with it yet. But I will, tomorrow morning.

I'm pretty sure it'll do just fine.

No comments: