Saturday, May 11, 2019

Out with the old, in with the new

It's sparky time!

My trusty and somewhat aged Samsung 245T monitors have been getting a little cranky in the morning, so I grabbed a capacitor kit off of Amazon to breathe a little new life into them.



Before and after, sorry the board isn't in the same orientation.

The process is pretty easy, just mark all the old capacitors with a sharpie, unsolder them one at a time and replace them with the matching spec from the replacement kit. A little bit of silastic to keep things from vibrating and it's good as new.

I'm gonna let the silastic cure overnight and then swap this one out for the one currently serving as a second monitor on my mac rather than having them both out of service at the same time. I also need to recap the power board in my Yiynova tablet monitor but I doubt I'll find a premade kit for it, so it'll be off to Digikey for that one.

No comments: