Monday, September 3, 2018

A Weekend Spent Well

It's a good thing this weekend had 3 days, because I somehow managed to fill all three of them.

Starting off with Saturday, the main job of the day was modifying my triangle bag on BlackBirb, my mountain bike. The velcro-and-elastic holding it on was doing an ok job, but it was showing signs of not really being the most secure long term solution; the tension from the elastic was pulling the velcro off itself. Rather than going to any huge lengths to re-engineer this I decided to just add some hook-and-eye fasteners to the velcro, and the result was quite satisfactory.

Fast forward to Sunday and the main event, a ride from Lexington Reservoir to El Sombroso. I initially planned to go down Woods Trail as far as Hicks Road, but I was being swarmed with tiny flies that kept buzzing an inch from my sunglasses (not biting or anything, just buzzing away in front of me), and by the time I was at El Sombroso I felt like I had done enough to call it a good ride.

Sunday was bike wash day, as the trails around here are hella dusty, so much so that the dust actually scrubbed away all the lube from the chain on BlackBirb by the time I was 3/4 through the ride. But I washed both it and Phoenix Down while I was at it, and gave them both a once-over with the lube.

The hours in between were filled with the usual minor weekend tasks and chores that don't bear mentioning. Doing laundry, taking out the trash, doing my nails and so on. Cleared out a bit of a backlog too, so I should be able to get started on something new next weekend (though I've been saying that for a few weekends now, at some point it'll actually come to pass I'm sure).

No comments: