So the thing about electronic music is that it runs on electrons, and you need to get those electrons in and out of the music somehow. In the case of my MPC-1000, this happens via a fairly standard IEC C14 connector on the back panel.
I say "fairly standard" because this one has some aftermarket modifications.
You're not normally supposed to be able to see light through them. I was going to show the cracked shell on the bench but when I tried to push the crack open a little bit, well...
Anyway, the good news is that this is a simple fix. Just take off the heat shrink, unsolder the wires from the old connector, solder them to the new connector, forget to slide the heat shrink on so depin the PCB connector to slide the pieces on from the other end, shrink the heat shrink, reassemble the PCB connector...
And then pop it back into place.
Looks good as new, aside from the staining on the sheet metal. But that just adds character and tone to the sounds.
And the good news is that it even still works!
So that's nice.







No comments:
Post a Comment