Friday, February 17, 2023

Let There Be Uberlight

Ages ago now I bought some LED task lights, mostly for helping me see while I'm doing my nails. They were reasonably ok for this task but they had their drawbacks.

For one, while they did fit in my slant-front desk, they didn't fit particularly well.

And while they did stand up...

...they kind of had a pathetic droop to them.

But recently I was recommended a new task light, the Uberlight 3200 Flex. In particular, it was promised that the flexible arm would actually stay where I put it, in whatever orientation I desired.

With a promise like that, what could I do but order it? A few days later, a box arrived.

And within it was... another box.

Ok that's maybe not strictly necessary and not especially environmentally friendly but whatever. What matters is that inside THIS box was my promised illumination nirvana.

Curiously it derived its power by way of a USB A plug, which has the distinguishing feature that it can be inserted into its socket in two orientations, both of which are incorrect. It also included a USB A wall wart. I suppose a USB connector is just fine.

Anyway, I clamped it into place and wouldn't you know it, it works quite nicely!

It also clears up a little space, since it doesn't sit on the desk top itself. When I'm done using it, it folds up nicely within the desk space.

And the slant top closes without issues.

All in all this was a very good upgrade, and money well spent.

No comments: